Home / Product Selection / Energy / Billing / I'm having trouble paying my bill
  • Question

    I'm having trouble paying my bill

    • Answer
    • If you are having difficulty paying your gas or electricity bill, please call 0800 048 0404* or textphone 18001 0800 072 86268* immediately.

      We can help, but only if we know there is a problem. We will consider your ability to pay and have a number of solutions we can offer and ways we can help.

      We may be able to:

      • Arrange for you to pay your bill by instalments at an agreed rate.
      • Agree on a more suitable payment method or tariff
      • Fit a pay as you go meter
      • Collect a weekly amount directly from your benefits. If you need further information after you have spoken to us, then you should contact your Benefits Agency
      • Provide you with advice on how to reduce your energy consumption

      Please tell us if:

      • You are elderly, or have a disability or long term illness
      • You are a tenent, the debt is in your landlord's name and you pay them for your gas or electricity (also tell your local authority)
      • You receive Income Support or income-based Jobseekers Allowance as the Benefits Agency may be able to help you.

      *Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.

    • View Answer at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/HelpAndAdvice/LookUp/?SXI=13,CASE=3226
    • Not the answer you were looking for?
    • Click a problem area below for more Energy solutions