Home / Product Selection / Energy / Moving Home / I'm moving to a home with Pay As You Go Energy™ meters: what do I need to do?
  • Question

    I'm moving to a home with Pay As You Go Energy™ meters: what do I need to do?

    • Answer
    • If you are moving, or due to move to a property with a Pay as you go meter you may need a new card or key. Using a card or key left in the property may mean you're paying someone else's outstanding balance.

      Call us on 0800 048 0303*, at least 3 days before you move, so we can post you a new card if you need one. We can usually arrange a new key in an hour. Our phone lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

      We'll need:

      • your moving date
      • your current address
      • your meter serial number if you have access to your new property (starts S or F for electricity meters or with L or M for gas meters and is next to the barcode)
      • your new address
      • the name of the new occupier, landlord or letting agent of your old address (if possible)

      Read more about paying back an outstanding balance through your 
      gas meter 
      or your electricity meter.

      If you've already moved:

      • if you took a meter reading when you arrived, please have this handy
      • to make sure you're not paying off someone else's balance, please check with us before using a card or key left by the previous occupiers. We will help you check the meter for an outstanding balance from the previous occupier.

      Find out where you can buy credit for your meter?

      *Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for quality assurance and compliance purposes.

    • View Answer at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/HelpAndAdvice/Solution/?solutionID=2123
    • Not the answer you were looking for?
    • Click a problem area below for more Energy solutions